Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The dream I had that night.


这是个悲惨的世界,还好我们还有悲惨世界。

I was in a field. A vast,grassless,sad field. It didn't seem to be day or night.


I was walking with my brother, the brother with my childhood;the brother of whom I must admit I never think and whom I scarcely remember.


We were talking and we met others who were talking. We were speaking of a former neighbor,who,because she lived by street,always worked with her window open. Even while we talked, we felt cold because of that open window.


There were no trees in the field.


We saw a man passing nearby. He was entirely naked,ashen-colored,riding a horse the color of the earth. The man was hairless; we saw his skull and veins in his skull. He was holding a stick that was limber, like a twig of grape vine, and heavy as iron. The horseman passed by and said nothing.


My brother said to me, "let take the deserted road."


That was a narrow,deep-cut road where we saw not a bush or even a sprig of moss. All was earth colored, even the sky. A few steps farther, and no one answered me when I spoke. I noticed that my brohter was no longer with me.


I entered a village that I saw. I thought that it must be Romainville(why Romainville?).


The first street I entered was deserted. I turned into a second street. At the corner of the two streets a man was standing against the wall. I said to him,"What is this place? Where am I?" He did not answer. I saw the open door of a house; I went in.


The first room was deserted. I went into the second. Behind the door of this room a man was standing against the wall. I asked him, "Whose house is this? Where am I?" The man did not answer. The house had a garden.


I went out of the house then into the garden. The garden was deserted. I found a man standing against the first tree. I said to this man, "What is this garden? Where am I?" The man did not answer.


I wandered through the village, and I realized it was a city. All the streets were deserted, all the doors were open. No living being was going by in the street or moving in the rooms or walking in the gardens. But behind every turn of a wall, behind every door, behind everything, there was a man standing in silence. Only one could ever be seen at a time. Those men looked at me as I passed by.


I left the city and began to walk into the fields.


After a while, I turned and I saw a great crowd followed me. I recognized all the men I had seen in the city. Their heads were strange. They did not seem to be hurrying, and yet they walked faster than I. They made no sounds as they walked. Suddenly, this crowd came up and surrounded me. Their faces were earth-colored.


Then the first one I had seen and questioned as I entered the city said to me,"Where are you going? Don't you know you've been dead for a long time?"


I opened my mouth to answer, ans I realized that no one was there.


喧闹的都市,蓦然回首,身后竟是——空无一人。

Monday, May 14, 2012

The sound of Silence




The Sound of Silence 
寂静之声 

Hello darkness, my old friend 
你好 黑暗 我的老朋友 
I've come to talk with you again 
我又来和你交谈 
Because a vision softly creeping 
因为有一种幻觉正向悄悄地向我袭来 
Left its seeds while I was sleeping 
在我熟睡的时候留下了它的种子 
And the vision that was planted in my brain 
这种幻觉在我的脑海里生根发芽 
Still remains 
缠绕着我 
Within the sound of silence 
伴随着寂静的声音 
In restless dreams I walked alone 
在不安的梦幻中我独自行走 
Narrow streets of cobblestone 
狭窄的鹅卵石街道 
'Neath the halo of a street lamp 
在路灯的光环照耀下 
I turned my collar to the cold and damp 
我竖起衣领 抵御严寒和潮湿 
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light 
一道耀眼的霓虹灯光刺入我的眼睛 
That split the night 
它划破夜空 
And touched the sound of silence 
触摸着寂静的声音 
And in the naked light I saw 
在炫目的灯光下 
Ten thousand people, maybe more 
我看见成千上万的人 
People talking without speaking 
人们说而不言 
People hearing without listening 
听而不闻 
People writing songs that voices never share 
人们创造歌曲却唱不出声来 
And no one dare disturb the sound of silence 
没有人敢打扰这寂静的声音 
"Fools" said I, "You do not know 
我说:“傻瓜,难道你不知道 
Silence like a cancer grows”
 寂静如同顽疾滋长” 
Hear my words that I might teach you 
听我对你说的有益的话 
Take my arms that I might reach to you 
拉住我伸给你的手 
But my words like silent as raindrops fell 
但是我的话犹如雨滴飘落 
And echoed in the wells of silence 
在寂静的水井中回响 
And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made. 
人们向自己创造的霓虹之神 
鞠躬 祈祷And the sign flashed out its warning 
神光中闪射出告诫的语句 
And the words that it was forming 
在字里行间指明 
And the sign said: 
它告诉人们 
"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
 预言者的话都已写在地铁的墙上 
and tenement halls 
和房屋的大厅里 
And whispered in the sound of silence."
 在寂静的声音里低语